To register for the symposium follow this link: https://store.leeds.ac.uk/conferences-and-events/environment/earth-and-environment/geo-materials-symposium-september-4th-2019. The closing date for registration is 16th August 2019.
Attendee – £50.00
Exhibitors – £100.0
The University of Leeds
School of Earth and Environment
Maths, Earth and Environment Building
Meeting Room: 8.119/a/b
Foyer: For displays and demonstrations.
- John Turner, T.Section – CONFIRMED
- Owen Green, University of Oxford- The rock and the microscope: origins of sample preparation in the study of petrological specimens – CONFIRMED
- Dan Doran and Matt Beverley-Smith, NOC Southampton – CONFIRMED
- Evans Moguire, Buehler – CONFIRMED
- Peter Laugesen, Pelcon – (TBC)
- Callum Hatch, Natural History Museum – Long-term stability and preservation potential of resins used in thin section preparation methods – CONFIRMED
- Matt Farrington and Ewan McDougall, Kemet – CONFIRMED
- MetPrep – (TBC)
- Grant Taggart, Logitech – Logitech LP70 Multi station precision lapping and polishing system – CONFIRMED
The theme of the workshop will be in a similar vein to the meeting at Durham University in 2017 including:
- knowledge/skill transfer in the preparation of thin sections
- preparation of high quality petrographic sections and surfaces for microscopy analysis,
- sample cutting, resin impregnation and stabilisation,
- grinding, lapping and polishing for EBSD, EMP, TEM and SEM.
The organisers envisage the workshop will attract a diverse range of specialists with expertise in earth, environmental and civil engineering, materials and archaeology. It is planned that a number of specialist equipment and consumables suppliers will also attend. Along with invited speakers we hope this will contribute to making the day a success, advancing participants understanding of the diverse range of products and equipment available for preparation. It is also a great opportunity to meet friends and colleagues that you probably haven’t seen since the last event.
For any additional information please contact one of the following organisers:
Harri Williams – Host – University of Leeds
Ian Chaplin – University of Durham
Sophie Edwards – University of Durham
George MacLeod – University of Stirling